School Scheduling Associates

My recollection of the debate on math blocking was that math teachers generally opposed having one 90 minute period rather than two 45 minute periods.

My school has 80 minute blocks. We have a "double algebra" for freshmen that comprises 60 minutes on Monday and two additional blocks of 160 minutes each week. I feel four 80 minute blocks would be much more productive.

Does anyone know of any experience anywhere with 160 minute blocks in math?

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did work with a district in VA that splits Algebra 1 as follows: Algebra 1 Part A meets for 90 minutes per day for a year and Algebra I part B meets for 90 minutes per day for the next year. This is equivalent to four times the normal time allotment for Algebra I. At some point time is not the issue, approach is. Seems like serious overkill to me.
Thanks for your reply!
At least it was 90 minutes per day: 90 90 90 90 90 rather than 60 160 0 160 0!
Chicago Public Schools also do a 90 90 90 90 90 for the freshmen year.
Even with the extra time, much of algebra 1 winds up being repeated in the fall term of algebra 2.
Perhaps giving it quadruple time the first time around helps it stick better...

Mike Rettig said:
I did work with a district in VA that splits Algebra 1 as follows: Algebra 1 Part A meets for 90 minutes per day for a year and Algebra I part B meets for 90 minutes per day for the next year. This is equivalent to four times the normal time allotment for Algebra I. At some point time is not the issue, approach is. Seems like serious overkill to me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Studio 314 Design Company.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service